I didn’t know that you could throw a whole fig into the blender?? I thought you had to scoop out the flesh or something… but nope, you just throw it in. This is perfect for me because I don’t like to use up energy unless absolutely required.
I also didn’t know that they (the fig) are full of goodness!!
Figs are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps to control blood pressure. They are high in natural sugars, rich in minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron and copper and are a good source of antioxidant vitamins A, E and K. Apparently they help with sexual weakness!! I’d say I’m good for sometime, I’ve got a whole bag of figs! Although… they also act as a natural laxative so gotta go easy on the figs too!
Figs are in season at the moment (in NZ). Yesterday I had stopped at a roadside store in Kutatere (Bay of Plenty) and paid $8 for a bag of organic figs. Maybe figs are cheaper in the store to buy, but buying organic and supporting local businesses is my thing.
Fig and Banana Smoothie – Vegan / Sugar-Free / Dairy-Free
- 4 figs
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 cardamom pods (seeded and ground) – or replace with vanilla essence
- Take the stems off the figs, chop in quarters, throw in blender
- Add banana, almond milk, cinnamon and chia seeds
- If you don’t have cardamom seeds use vanilla essence
- Throw them ALL in blender and blend!
- Drink and be full for the next few hours!!
There is a natural sweetness in the figs, lessen the almond milk to make a thick yummy desert 🙂