My new years resolution was to lay off the peanut slabs… 3 months in and what an EPIC FAIL! The super-markets put them right at the check-out, FOR ME! I try to ignore them but the sugar junkie hisses at my will power and before I know it I’m chowing down a slab… or two! I feel like Sméagol, I’ll probably look like him in 5 years time if I continue the addiction!
Its the sugar right? Its so addictive… its so bad. But I’m working really hard to control it.
I’ve started making healthy options; without sugar, dairy or processed foods… and these little bliss balls are so easy to make! I’ve always got cacao and nuts on hand, this is a much better solution for the sugar junkie! If you are armed with these before the super-market, you’ll be less tempted by the sugar demons!!
This recipe makes 20 – could be more, but I kept eating them! (possibly created another addiction for myself?)
Roast the nuts over a high heat on the stove, without oil. Keep an eye on them, easy to burn. (I often roast nuts, add oil and chilli then store as a snack!)
Roughly chop up the dates and figs, use a mortar and pestle to grind the cardamom. Cardamom has a very aromatic smell. Its almost one of the most expensive spices so you don’t have to add it in if you don’t want too, but a little packet will last a long time and can be added to Indian dishes.
Put all remaining ingredients (coconut, coconut oil and cacao) in a food processor and roughly grind until its sticky. Shape into small balls (table spoon scoop) with your hands. Roll in coconut and store in fridge or do what I do… eat them IMMEDIATELY!
Cacao and Pistachio Bliss Balls – Sugar Free
- 1 cup mixed nuts – pistachio, cashews, blanched almonds (any nuts you like)
- 3 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 Cups dates, I used a organic variety Deglet Noor
- 6 whole dried figs
- 4 cardamom seeds
- 3 Tbsp coconut – fine and unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Roast nuts over a high heat, no oil
- Roughly chop the dates and figs
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the cardamom seeds
- Put all ingredients including coconut, coconut oil and cacao in a food processor and grind until rough and sticky
- Using your hands, shape into balls (table spoon scoop)
- Roll in coconut
- Store in fridge or freezer
Enjoy!! I have 15 left now
I was feeling parched whilst making bliss balls, so I also made a Cacao and Berry Smoothie!